Skip to Main Content

Christian Retreats Network

BlogBlog Post

Hospitality (Guest Service) is Good Business

By Steve

The 7 part topic we have and will be covering is, Christian Hospitality and how it relates to the Conference/Retreat Ministry.  More than we realize, the effectiveness of off-site ministry is dependent on a thorough understanding of Christian Hospitality and how it affects the individual guest and their openness to God's work.

  1. Hospitality (Guest Service) is Biblical
  2. Hospitality (Guest Service) is Powerful

Today, we take a look at: Hospitality (Guest Service) is Good Business.

Why is guest satisfaction important?

The following research shows why customer satisfaction is important and how it directly relates to the success of the ministry:

  • A typical business only hears from 4 percent of their dissatisfied customers. The remaining 96 percent just go away with 91 percent never coming back.
  • It costs 5 to 6 times more to get a new customer than to keep an old one.
  • Customer loyalty can be up to 10 times greater than the cost of a single purchase that customer might make.
  • Customers with immediately resolved complaints will tell 4 to 6 people about it, but dissatisfied customers will tell around 15 people - however many tell more than 20 people.
  • For every one complaint, there are 26 more not heard and 4 of those are serious complaints.
  • It takes 12 new positive interactions with a dissatisfied customer to rebuild trust and loyalty to an organization.

We have found that any negative experience during a visit has an impact on all OTHER aspects of that visit. If someone receives poor guest service, or no service, they are more hesitant to engage in other opportunities throughout the facility. The likelihood of harsh judgments on other areas (food, lodging, recreation) is more frequent when there has been a negative incident with a guest. Our ministry depends on a large segment of repeat business that will dry up if we don't go the extra mile for our guests.

Christian Retreats Network /

Based at Lake Williamson / PO Box 620 / Carlinville, IL 62626